Aug 7, 2014

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Well it has been forever since my last post. Basically because I've lost interest in blog writing. But since I got nothing to do now, and I feel that my English is so rusty I believe by writing I can keep my grammar in good position whatsoever. So I will start by writing about my new hobby. 


I don't consider it as a hobby yet but that's what I do since early Ramadhan few weeks back. Actually I used to read back then when I was a kid. Perhaps during late primary and early secondary. But I can't exactly recall why I stopped reading. Maybe because I got bored easily and I got new hobbies at that time. I don't know.

So it's been a while since I read a book (except for those novels that we ought to study for PMR/SPM). Even during my foundation year I was being asked to read a novel for my English Literature subject but I didn't read it. The book is called "Flowers For Argernon". Perhaps if I can find back the book somewhere in my racks I'll read it. 

Quick update. So now I've just finished my first degree study and InsyaAllah I will be graduating the fabulous School of MassComm October this year, and yes InsyaAllah I'll be taking my master classes on September, majoring in the same course. The reason why I'm not going for any job hunting is because my mother recently has just been diagnosed with ovary cancer and she needs to go for her chemotherapy session every week, and I need to accompany her. At first we thought that I'm just gonna stay at home, watching after my family but suddenly I got this offer letter from UiTM so I took it.

Recently I've read "The Perks of Being A Wallflower", written by Stephen Chbosky. I bought that book two years ago for God's sake but I just read it like a month ago. The reason why I bought this book is because of the movie. I watched the movie and somehow I feel that I can relate to that movie in so many ways, and I think it's quite cute if I read the book too. But yes that only happened a year later. I asked my dad to buy it for me by the way.

So another reason why I'm writing this post is because I want to leave some words to prove that I've read the book, like if I don't write something about it and then all the reading is such a waste like literally. And because this book is mainly about a young boy who enjoys reading and writes essays out of the books he has read.

The reason I said I can relate though is because the main character, Charlie is going through a phase in his life; all of the social sickness and what not. I don't call it as a sickness though, even though all of those drugs do nothing good but hey it's life, and that's life working for him. Each person experiences life differently. Charlie tries drugs like marijuana and acid, as well as developing a habit in smoking and drinking. For me, it's normal. People learn life in so many ways, differently. I want to blame his friends for their bad influences but the memories that they make throughout the story really make me feel the bad stuffs they do are just nothing. Charlie makes a lot of friends. Have you guys ever heard that drugs make families? Well, they do. They really do.

The story is about some group of friends, living their teenage life to the fullest and dealing with normal life issues like substance abuse, love, homosexuality, family issues and what not.
The main character explores new things as he enters high school life for the first time. Glad he makes new friends that introduce him the real meaning of life, be it good or bad I believe it is a wonderful story. I really like how it was written by the author. It's written in letter form like Charlie writes all of them, and sends it to an anonymous person. It's like Charlie is writing to me, and I read it.

The words are quite simple and only few of them I need to look up in the dictionary. I love the book. I also love the fact that the author did mention some of other good books for reading preferences and I've bought some of them. Like in the mean time I am reading "The Catcher In The Rye" by J. D. Salinger and this book was first published in 1953, if I'm not mistaken. This book is given by Charlie's teacher for him to read, and make an essay about it. So that's why I'm writing this entry. Not because I need to, but I feel to. 

I've learnt that the novel and the movie are slightly different (The Perks Of Being A Wallflower). But both of them are written by Chbosky. You don't really put 100% of what you write in a book and make a film out of it, right? Classic Chbosky. 

So I don't really know if any of you guys will read this till the end, or even read this at the first place but thanks though.

If you feel like catching up with me don't feel bad about texting me or PM me on Facebook or Twitter whatsoever. Because I miss my old readers. For God's sake it has been nearly two years I didn't write anything here. So yeah and again, thanks. Till next time.

Love always,
Saif.